Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Mold Prevention in Bakersfield Area
Have you ever gotten mold in your home or business?
The kitchen is one of the most susceptible areas of the house to mold growth and it is very easy for mold to occur there if preventative actions are not taken. It is important to keep kitchens mold free because this is the same space in which food is prepared and consuming mold can be harmful. Preventing mold from growing in your kitchen is quite simple and it only takes a few preventative actions to ensure that your kitchen is safe, otherwise, you may need a professional mold remediation service like SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield.
The kitchen has a higher level of moisture in it than most other rooms of the house and as a result, surfaces such as the wall may become moldy. If there is some mold growth on the wall, make sure to remove it and keep an eye on that area as mold is likely to grow back in the same spot if the humidity rises again.
- One option for preventing mold growth on the walls is using mold resistant paint which is water resistant and will prevent mold from penetrating through the painted layer. Adding mold resistant paint to your kitchen will also rejuvenate the look of the kitchen walls.
- Another way to prevent mold from growing in your kitchen is to make sure your kitchen is dry and free of standing water. As you do the dishes or clean up the kitchen, water can get into small spaces around the sink which increases the risk of mold. It is important to dry the water from these hidden places as they are the most likely places for mold to grow with or without the excess water. After you clean your kitchen, use a separate towel to dry the water from the counters, cracks, floor, and other areas that are wet.
- Humidity is another common cause of mold growth and limiting the humidity within the kitchen will greatly decrease the risk. The best way to keep the humidity down within the kitchen is by opening the windows and making sure there is always good ventilation. It is important to remember that excess moisture, standing water, or high humidity is at the root of every mold outbreak and the key to keeping your kitchen mold free is eliminating each of these sources. Keeping mold out of your kitchen will not only contribute to a cleaner space but also make it a safer place to prepare food.
If you do happen to find more mold than you can safely clean yourself, contact a professional such as SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield.
Does Your Bakersfield Business Have Mold?
SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield can help when mold strikes in your business!
Besides causing a major business interruption, a mold problem can present a serious health risk for people exposed at your commercial property. Mold infestations can be caused by minor water intrusions, like a slow roof leak or loose plumbing fitting. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity.
Mold can spread quickly through a property if left untreated. SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield can respond quickly, working to first contain the infestation to help prevent its spread to other parts of the building. Next, we will begin the remediation process, working safely and effectively to manage the situation. We have the training, experience, and equipment to contain the mold infestation and remediate it to preloss condition.
If you suspect your property has a mold problem, call SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield at 661-326-8422!
How to Prevent Mold
Mold can grow everywhere, from your carpet to your window seals, and even inside of your walls! Sometimes it is easy to detect mold, and other times it’s more difficult. While it is impossible to completely eliminate mold, here are some tips on how to prevent mold from growing.
Dry Wet Areas
Mold needs moisture to grow. You can help prevent mold from growing by wiping away condensation and by not leaving wet items around. Always make sure you wipe down the bathroom after you shower and hang wet towels in a room with good air circulation to dry.
Poor ventilation allows water to stay in the area and may help mold grow. If you are doing an activity that produces a lot of moisture, like cooking, make sure you are using the exhaust fan. You can always open up a window in addition to using an exhaust fan.
The EPA recommends indoor air humidity should be between 30 and 60 percent. You can keep an eye on humidity levels in your home with a moisture meter which can be picked up at your local hardware store.
If your home has high humidity levels, you may want to get a dehumidifier. This will help keep humidity levels down.
Direct Moisture Away from your Home
If your property constantly is flooded, you may want to develop a way to prevent water from getting inside of your home. This will help prevent water damage and it may help prevent mold from growing inside of your home. This can be done in a few ways.
- Create a barrier
- Dig a trench
- Build a dry well
If you suspect that you have mold growing in your home, call SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield at 661-326-8422. The experts at SERVPRO will inspect and assess your property with our specialized training and equipment. We will make your property look “Like it never even happened”.
Here is a link to a few ideas from the EPA about mold and moisture control after floods:
During a flood cleanup, the indoor air quality in your home or office may appear to be the least of your problems. However, failure to remove contaminated materials and to reduce moisture and humidity can present serious long-term health risks. Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold. They can cause disease, trigger allergic reactions, and continue to damage materials long after the flood.
Here is a link to some ideas on what you can do to clean mold yourself or when to call in a professional:
If you already have a mold problem - ACT QUICKLY. Mold damages what it grows on. The longer it grows, the more damage it can cause.
Leaky window - mold is beginning to rot the wooden frame and windowsill.
Who should do the cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself, follow the Mold Cleanup Tips and Techniques. However:
- If there has been a lot of water damage, and/or mold growth covers more than 10 square feet, consult EPA guide Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. Although focused on schools and commercial buildings, this document is applicable to other building types.
- If you choose to hire a contractor (or other professional service provider) to do the cleanup, make sure the contractor has experience cleaning up mold. Check references and ask the contractor to follow the recommendations in EPA guide Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, the guidelines of the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygenists (ACGIH), or other guidelines from professional or government organizations.
- If you suspect that the heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) system may be contaminated with mold (it is part of an identified moisture problem, for instance, or there is mold near the intake to the system), consult EPA guide Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned? before taking further action. Do not run the HVAC system if you know or suspect that it is contaminated with mold - it could spread mold throughout the building.
- If the water and/or mold damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, then call in a professional who has experience cleaning and fixing buildings damaged by contaminated water.
- If you have health concerns, consult a health professional before starting cleanup.
Some Facts About Black Mold
What is Black Mold?
Stachybotrys chartarum is the type of mold often called “black mold” or “toxic mold”. Sensational news reports warn about the dangers of black mold and these stories can be alarming and confusing. Any mold in your home should be treated with caution – stay out of affected areas and don’t touch or disturb the mold.
What to do until SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield arrives?
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact a SERVPRO of Reno Southwest for mold remediation services.
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property. SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
Kern County Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 661-326-8422
Mold Damage Remediation For Your Bakersfield Area Home
SERVPRO Offers Great Remediation for Mold Damage in Bakersfield
Bakersfield Properties and Mold Conditions
Having mold growth under your kitchen sink is nothing to ignore because the problem does not go away on its own. Waiting gives mold additional time to spread to other areas of your home, taking hold of more rooms, exposing your family to risks that they do not need to endure.
A proper mold damage remediation company in the Bakersfield area can limit your families exposure and get mold growth under control quickly, with little to no disruption of your normal routine. Making a quick, decisive decision to eliminate mold growth found in your home, protects your family and helps prevent future incidents.
SERVPRO technicians understand how mold operates, how fast it can spread, and how dangerous it is to ignore. If allowed, mold can make its way into every room of your home. Hitching a ride on your clothing, or a household pet, entering through windows, doors, or your ventilation system. Microscopic spores thrive on moisture, quickly growing into colonies, producing allergens and irritants that may cause health problems to those exposed.
Take control of mold growth in your home, make the call to SERVPRO the moment you discover any signs that mold may exist. Keep an eye out for dark water stains on your walls, a dark, musty odor that permeates specific areas, or areas with excessive humidity levels. Our technicians work their way through the suspected area, determine the extent of your problem, and communicate all findings to you and your insurance company.
SERVPRO technicians collaborate with everyone involved, answering any questions you may have and taking the time to describe each of our services in detail so that you fully understand the lengths we take to deliver the solutions you deserve. We consider finding mold in your home a severe issue, following strict guidelines developed by the EPA to ensure proper containment, handling, and disposal of contaminated materials found in your home.
Contacting SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield provides you with access to IICRC certified remediation specialists with several years of experience performing mold remediation services in your area. We produce quality results for our customers and help prevent future growth. Call today. (661) 326-8422
Does Your Kern County Home Have A Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 661-326-8422
Certified Mold Remediation Professionals In Bakersfield
Rely on SERVPRO for Safe Mold Remediation in Bakersfield.
For Bakersfield Homeowners, SERVPRO Provides Solutions to Mold Damage and Cleanup
Ever wonder what a proper remediation company does to combat mold damage in your home? If you have never had the process done before, it can be quite amazing to watch. The process itself is not simple; it mainly involves controlling water sources on your property, removing the mold, disinfecting the affected areas, and, when necessary, performing the necessary repairs to return your home environment to a safe, healthy one.
Of course, as with any restoration or recovery carried out on your Bakersfield property, safety during mold damage remediation takes priority. Major steps in the process remain the same, but each situation presents technicians with a unique challenge, requiring them to think on their feet to get the job done right and prevent future contamination.
SERVPRO technicians use personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, goggles, respirators, and full-body suits to avoid spreading mold throughout your home or becoming contaminated themselves. Your protection and the protection of our workers during your remediation process is always our number one concern.
After an initial inspection, SERVPRO technicians establish a containment area using 6 Mil Polypropylene plastic sheeting material, perfect for containment barriers. Using negative air pressure to prevent spreading the infestation to unprotected areas of your home. We also cover your ventilation systems HVAC vents and establish clean rooms for decontamination of equipment and materials, or entering and leaving the work area.
SERVPRO removes mold infestations from various surfaces of your home and prevents loss of a generous amount of materials. However, more porous materials, such as drywall, untreated wood, insulation, fabrics, or carpeting often require disposal. Each of these porous materials requires specific handling and disposal methods to prevent exposure.
While an EPA-registered broad spectrum disinfectant can help mitigate damages to nonporous materials such as glass, metal, and plastic we also use industrial-grade wet-dry vacuums with HEPA filters installed to remove mold from various surfaces and remove layers of soils that exist. Mold spores are always top of mind and must not be allowed to circulate with the structure.
Negative air machines and directional airflow helps decontaminate the entire structure, speeds up the drying process used on affected materials, and produces quality results for our customers. Our mold remediation process helps prevent future mold growth and returns your home to a quality pre-mold damage condition that you and your family can enjoy. "Like it never even happened."
Contacting the IICRC certified remediation specialists at SERVPRO of SW Bakersfield gives you access to professionals who are on your side, call us today. (661) 326-8422